Sunday, July 21, 2013

Service Stations in Victoria, 1920s to 1950s.

Here are some photographs of Service Stations, all from the State Library of Victoria collection and taken between the 1920 and the 1950s, which was obviously the heyday of Service Station construction. www.slv.vic.gov.au


G & W Down Service Station, Gowangardie (north of Violet Town, east of Shepparton) 1940s. 
State Library of Victoria Image H92.388/135


Southern Cross Service station, Queens Parade, Clifton Hill. 1927. 
State Library of Victoria Image H2010.63/7


Service station, corner of Barkers Road and Church Street, Hawthorn. 1927. Same design as the one above and below, must have been the design of the moment. The architect is listed as L.M Perrott. 
State Library of Victoria Image H2010.63/8


Service station, corner of Malvern and Glenferrie Rds, Malvern. 1920s. 
State Library of Victoria Image H2010.63/9


Petrol pump outside a general store and a Peninsula Bus Lines bus (no location listed)
 State Library of Victoria Image H84.346/94


 Austral Service Station, 114 Sydney Road, Coburg. 
State Library of Victoria Image H2009.185/1


Footscray Motors, Hugh Williams Pty Ltd, 71 Hopkins Street, Footscray.
State Library of Victoria Image H2009.185/4


Main Street Mansfield, Mobil Service Station.
State Library of Victoria Image H32492/858


Castrol Service Station - Point Nepean Road, Rye.
State Library of Victoria Image H32492/2586


Rhodes Motors, 401-411 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, 1937. An Oldsmobile and Cadillac dealer and also sold Indian and Triumph motor cycles. Fuel pump outside premises.
State Library of Victoria Image H2009.185/5


Exterior view of Service Station (no location listed) 
State Library of Victoria Image  H2011.52/212


Another exterior view of the same Service Station, above.
State Library of Victoria  Image H2011.52/211


 Ripponlea Service Station  
State Library of Victoria Image H2011.52/285

 Old Service Station, Tarnagulla.  Ampol sign in window and fuel pump on footpath.
State Library of Victoria Image H98.251/1665


Yallourn Hotel and Garage, owned by Williams and Raynor, Railway Avenue.  
State Library of Victoria Image H2009.18/240


Devon Parking Service and Service Station. Not sure of exact location of this building.
State Library of Victoria Image H2011.52/56


Fleet House and City Motor Service Ltd., Collins Place, Melbourne. 1930s. Fuel pump on footpath.
 State Library of Victoria Image H2009.185/6

2 comments:

  1. Well, that was a delight!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda - Service Stations really were stylish in those days (especially in the City) - I guess it was because it was a new modern industry and the new modern architecture reflected that.

    ReplyDelete